Pancakes get a remake with kefir, fresh apples and applesauce.Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (for lighter pancakes, mix ½ cup all-purpose flour with ½ cup whole wheat)
- 1 Tbsp sugar (scant)
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/ tsp salt
- 1 cup Lifeway
- OR 1 cup Lifeway Organic
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 apple, grated
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside. Crack the egg into a medium sized bowl and whisk until fully incorporated and frothy. Add in the applesauce, kefir and butter and whisk well. Add liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined (there will be lumps).
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. When up to temperature, lightly coat with cooking spray. Drop ¼ cup dollops of batter onto the hot pan and sprinkle with grated apples. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until bubbles form and pop, then flip. Continue cooking until golden brown on the bottom, about 2-3 more minutes. Continue with the rest of the batter until all pancakes are complete.
- Top with syrup, more grated apples, peanut butter, or toppings of your choice. Enjoy with a nice glass of cold Lifeway kefir!